Handmade at the Library: A Call for Contributors.

I’m hard at work on an exciting new book project that combines my two loves–libraries and craft. And I’d like to invite library-loving crafters and makers to be part of it!

Tentatively entitled Handmade at the Library, the book will be published by STC Craft | Melanie Falick Books. It is a crafter’s library companion, and in it I will share tips on how you can make the most of libraries’ unique and historic collections–both in person and online–in your search for information and inspiration in your own handmade creations. In addition, crafters and designers will provide original ideas and instructions for making beautiful, modern projects based on inspiring, vintage library collections. Each project will highlight the rich potential that awaits within research libraries’ unique collections. And that’s where where you come in.

I’m looking for talented working crafters interested in creating project tutorials for Handmade at the Library. I’ve gotten some great people lined up already (more news on that soon!) so I promise you’ll be in very good company. The ideal contributor’s work reflects a modern re-imagining of craft traditions, a fresh interpretation of vintage design, or an affinity for the history of the printed word. Examples of library sources we might together choose for your inspiration include historic children’s textbooks, type specimen books, postcard collections, old maps, early domestic arts magazines, and more.

The projects chosen for the finished book will include a variety of media as well as a range of types of items, including but not limited to home goods, toys, clothing accessories, and decor.

I will provide an honorarium to each contributor in thanks for her or his creative efforts in support of this project. If you are interested in contributing, please write to me at jessica [at] handmadelibrarian [dot] com and introduce yourself. Be sure to include links–to your blog, website, etsy shop, etc.–where I can get to know you and your work better.

The deadline for contributors’ finished projects and instructions will be November 2012.  I will respond to each potential contributor as quickly as possible. Thank you for considering being part of Handmade at the Library.  More news on the book as it happens!

17 thoughts on “Handmade at the Library: A Call for Contributors.

1. Rosemary Washington

Jessica, Congratulations on your well-deserved book deal. I can’t wait to read the book. I am so inspired by books…in many ways. But specifially for crafts and DIY, I’ve blogged about a few projects here:

Hand-quilted place mats from a pattern found in The Thimbleberries Book of Quilts by Lynette Jensen
    Hand-quilted table runner from a pattern adapted from The Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kern
    Simple heart-shaped rosemary wreath from Swedish Christmas Traditions: A Smorgasbord of Scandinavian Recipes, Crafts and Other Holiday Delights by Ernst Kirchsteiger
    Re-purposed dress made into place mats and table runner using a pattern found in New Cuts for New Quilts: More Ways to Stack the Deck by Karla Alexander
    Pleated tato (Japanese) coin purses from instructions in Japanese Paper Crafting by Michael Lafosse
    Embroidery-embellished stocking caps inspired by A Rainbow of Stitches

Best of luck, Jessica, with your book project.

2. DebraAnn

I am interested in more information. I am a hand embroidery/fiber artist and I use the library very much for inspiration. I make my own designs and then just let it rip. If you go to my blog there are many pictures of my work and info on my etsy page. I also have a flickr page. Thanks for looking in advance and have a great day

3. Pam Joiner

Just an initial question…Are you wanting projects that are inspired by literature or the actual altering of a book? Thanks for the clarification.

1. Jessica Post author

Thanks for your very good question, Pam. Although I love seeing how artists remake and alter books to create new art objects, I don’t plan to go in that direction with my own book. Instead, I plan to feature projects inspired by or informed by unique and rare library materials instead.

4. Pingback: Call for submissions from the Handmade Librarian! | Library as Incubator Project

5. red sandlin

I am very interested in this exciting project. What is your criteria for submission? Meaning photo or real project that you photograph?

Thanks and much luck. It touches the heart that there is many out in the world who still love the good old Book….the portal to any world and not need to batteries.

1. Jessica Post author

Thanks for your question, Red Sandlin. If you are interested in being considered, all you need to do is write to me (jessica at handmade librarian dot com). Tell me a little bit about yourself and your work and why you’d be a good choice for creating a project tutorial, and then point me to links where I might view images of what you do online (or email a few images of examples of your work). It’s as simple as that–no need to send finished projects in person.

6. Lanie Mayabb

I am a stained glass artist, and I am not sure if you can use my craft in your book our not,please let me know if you are interested in my work. I have a shop on Esty.com./guidinglightglass. Please take a look. Thank you.

7. ruth whitten

Being a librarian myself I cannot wait to see this book published. Just wondering because I have a lot of these that are not used–do you know ANY craft that can be made from filmstrips? I’ve been hanging on to them “just in case” but I plan to retire soon and need to get rid of them before I leave.

1. Jessica Post author

Thanks, everyone, for visiting here and for your encouraging words and general enthusiasm for the project. Just so you know, if you submitted a comment introducing yourself as a potential book contributor and sharing links to your work, I’ve moved it to my email and I’ll write back to you directly as soon as I can. I’ve been really bowled over by the dozens of responses from talented designers and makers from all over, and I will work hard to be in touch with each of you over the next two weeks. And, to Ruth, who has a bunch of film strips she’d like to find a new use for, here’s an idea for making package bows out of film. If I find any more ideas I’ll post them here for you. Thank you all again!

8. Peggy Johnson

Books at the library taught me about jewelry making over 40 years ago. Now books inspire me of jewelry from other lands, new techniques, even a poem to stamp on piece of metal.

9. Pingback: CRAFTERNOON BLOG » Blog Archive » For the Love of Festive Garlands